What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a major health problem worldwide. Diabetes mellitus is a serious metabolic disease. This is affecting people all over the world and its prevalence is increasing. A person with diabetes will have high blood sugar levels due to a lack of insulin, the body’s inability to use insulin, or both.
According to the World health organisation, diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death in the year 2019, about 1.6 million deaths were directly due to diabetes.
Let’s discuss the types of diabetes:
Type 1 diabetes (T1D)
- This type of diabetes cannot be prevented. It is an autoimmune disease in which the body destroys its own insulin-producing cells. A person suffering from T1D need daily injections of insulin to survive.
- The American Diabetic Association recommended that Organic food and exercise patterns reduce saturated fat to 10 % of total energy or less.
- People with diabetes have an increased risk of heart attack and this Organic dietary modification may reduce the risk of heart problems.
Type 2 diabetes (T2D)
- The majority of all diabetes is T2D (85%-95%). Which in many cases can be prevented with proper consultation. People with T2D cannot use insulin.
- This can be brought in control through exercise and diet (Especially which are Adulteration free. Means eating food product which is made through Organic Means
- Consuming low glycaemic index foods is of utmost importance. Take expert help to plan a good diet.
- Choosing the right foods can help prevent T2D and it can stop the symptoms and complications of diabetes from getting worse.
- The researchers, therefore, believe that chia seeds can help people manage type 2 diabetes.
What Is the Glycaemic Index?
The Glycaemic Index (GI) is a numerical scale used to indicate how fast and how high a particular food can raise our blood glucose. A food with a low GI will generally result in a quick moderate rise in blood glucose. While a food with a high GI may cause our blood glucose level to increase above the optimal level.
Eating organically grown food is especially important for people with diabetes who likely have a compromised immune system.
The pesticides used to grow conventional food may increase the risk of diabetes. You can compare conventional farming and organic farming here. In our post, we have shown that five different pesticides were associated with provoking diabetes. Consuming organic food is the only way to avoid the consumption of these pesticides.
Hence, we have chosen 4 organic food good for a diabetic patient.
- Cinnamon is a common spice known for its aroma. Cinnamon’s health benefits trace long back to its use in traditional medicine. It helps to reduce oxidative stress that is implicated in the development of type 2 diabetes.
- Several research studies have shown that cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- The type of cinnamon found in most grocery stores contains a chemical called coumarin. Which is linked to health problems at higher doses. It is preferable to use organically which contains lesser coumarin.
- Chia seeds are considered a super-food, because of their high antioxidant and omega-3 content. They are exceptionally rich in fibre as well.
- The fibre helps to lower the blood sugar level. It combats obesity- which increases the chances of developing diabetes, by reducing hunger.
- A most essential property of chia seed is it decreases the number of calories you absorb from other foods eaten as a part of the same meal.
- Turmeric is a miracle spice with unbelievable health benefits.
- The importance and use of turmeric are mentioned in Vedas too.
- Adding organic turmeric to your diet not only helps to reduce diabetes-related complications but also helps in diabetes prevention. It is the best organic food good for a diabetic patient.
Apple cider vinegar:
- Apple cider vinegar has many health benefits which are even supported by scientific research. One of those benefits is declining symptoms of diabetes.
- Organic Apple cider vinegar that’s unfiltered and raw is usually the best choice
Summing it up:
Improving one’s lifestyle and including Organic food becomes an important part of managing diabetes. The presence of organic food is mentioned in the History of Organic farming.
At the end of the day, the most effective way to prevent and manage diabetes is by eating a balanced diet and consulting the Doctors periodically.