When it comes to farming, the tools and equipment used by organic farmers as well as conventional farmers have many similarities between them. Organic farmers choose to pursue a more sustainable and eco-friendly take on equipment and machinery.
There are many tools in the market to choose from and sometimes it gets a little bit daunting, and that’s where this article comes into play.
This article will help you in deciding which tools and machinery to get and also give a brief description of the best tools and equipment used in organic farming.
Equipment for farms is divided into two categories.
They are hand tools for organic farming and machinery for organic farming. Both are extremely important in farms and should be considered.
BEST HAND TOOLS FOR ORGANIC FARMING:
- In farming, the broadfork is also called a U-fork or grelinette.
- A broadfork is used to aerate the soil and also helps in breaking apart dense soil.
- A stirrup hoe is a much better choice of equipment than the traditional hoe.
- It minimizes disturbance to the soil, and as a result, causes less drying.
- If used properly, the stirrup hoe can reduce the number of weeds that have a chance of developing in the future.
- It has a back and forth motion which is much more efficient than a traditional hoe and causes less strain on your joints.
- Makes eliminating tiny weeds quick and simple.
- Collinear hoe is ergonomic.
- A cobra hoe is perfect for crops sown in tight rows.
- It can be used for carrots, salad greens, lettuce, etc.
- A rake is useful for raking out the compost.
- Helps in loosening the soil and light weeding.
Aside from these, there are also other types of tools such as:
MAKING MACHINERY EQUIPMENT CHOICES:
- Aside from these tools, there is also machinery equipment which is vital in both organic as well as conventional farms.
- Numerous individuals feel that a major piece of organic farming is taking care of the planet by avoiding the use of machinery. They want to produce food in a more environmentally friendly manner while also gaining profit at the same time.
- It’s not practical to imagine that a farmer who possesses a huge land can beneficially develop his harvests with no mechanical assistance.
- A suitable solution to this issue is to get used farming machinery.
- If you want information on organic fertilizers visit the best organic fertilizers.
BEST MACHINERY FOR ORGANIC FARMING:
Few machines you should consider include:
- Tractors are one of the most important machines used in farms to date.
- They come in different sizes, each performing different functions.
- Tractors are used for digging, harvesting, haulage, plowing, harrowing.
- A cultivator is designed to prepare a proper seedbed for crops to be planted into, stir the soil.
- This helps promoting growth and destroys weeds.
- A plow or plough is a farm tool used to loosen the soil before sowing.
- Traditionally plows were drawn by oxen or horses, but in modern farming, ploughing is done by tractors.
- Harrow is a tool used to pulverize the soil, break up crop residues.
- Also used to uproot weeds and cover seeds.
- A transplanter is an agricultural machine that helps in transplanting seeds to the field.
- It drastically decreases the time taken to transplant seedlings when contrasted to manual transplanting and thus permits more opportunities for harvesting.
Other machines used in organic farming are as follows:
- Seed drills
- Choosing which tools and equipment to purchase is a daunting task since there is an extremely huge number of them in the marketplace.
- These tools include hoe, rake, broadfork, etc as well as farming machinery such as tractors, cultivators, and many more.
- This article gives you a brief description of the BEST TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED IN ORGANIC FARMING.